Wednesday’s dinner was a hit at my house. 2 of my kids, hubby and I really enjoyed it. Most of the time, I cook for my hubby and myself since the kids don’t seem to like the “diet” food I make. Actually, they didn’t like a few recipes so I stopped making it for them. And they are old enough to cook for themselves.
There is a link for a pizza dough recipe for this dish, I did not follow it. I used a different pizza dough recipe that I have used in the past and enjoy. Both recipes are similar in ingredients so probably similar in taste.
This is not an original recipe nor do I take any credit for it’s creation. I simply tried it and enjoyed so I thought I would share. All photos and recipe are from Sugar free Mom ‘s Blog.
Instead of Sugar free katsup, I used a sugar free organic marinara sauce. I used 1 pound ground turkey and 1/2 pound chicken sausage. Personally, I thought there was a bit too much meat involved. It had a pizza taste to it and that could be due to the marinara sauce. I did’t have sugar free katsup and it was not sold at my local supermarket so I improvised.
I will make this again. I will update this blog post with my photos. Next time, I will use less meat. Due to the pizza-type flavor, I may add some veggies like spinach and mushrooms. Oh, and maybe some olives. If I try it again as a bacon cheeseburger idea, I may add some avocado as I like avocado on my burgers.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 @ 2 pieces
Calories 287 kcal
Author Brenda Bennett | Sugar Free Mom
Prepared Recipe for Low Carb Pizza Dough
6 slices uncured
1 1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
2 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Prepare the pizza dough on a parchment lined baking sheet but DO NOT precook it as you would for the pizza
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
3. Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
4. Cook the ground turkey in the same skillet on medium high heat until browned and no longer pink.
5. Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook until cheese is melted and combined well.
6. Place the filling down the center of the pizza dough.
7. Wet your hands with water then lift one side of the dough over on top if the filling as far as you can bring it.
8. Fold the other half over and seal closed simply by pressing the dough with wet fingers.
9. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
10. Let cool out of the oven 10-15 minutes before slicing.
11. Enjoy with condiments and pickles!
Net Carbs for 2 slices= 7.5g
I used this recipe for the pizza crust. I doubled it to be enough to cover the entire calzone.
Let me know what you think. I enjoy your feedback