I love carrot cake. I almost forgot how much I love it until I went on retreat. I hadn’t had a slice for a couple of years. Boy, that first fork-full brought me back. The carrots. The nuts. The cream cheese frosting. Yumm. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water. Drool!
So, I fired up my trusty Google and began the quest for a good low carb carrot cake recipe. I found 2 that I thought would be good. So I baked them both up last weekend. Both were pretty tasty. This is my favorite and will remain in my Keto cookbook I am creating by compiling recipes.
I probably have around 150 recipes and I keep adding more weekly. I have duplicates of multiple recipes so I am working on making each of them (side by side when possible) and taste testing them to find the one(s) we like best.
So I tried Low Carb Keto Sugar Free Carrot Cake (my favorite) by Wholesome Yumm and Low Carb Carrot Cake by Ditch the Carbs . I used Pecans in both recipes as I prefer them over walnuts. I liked the frosting by Ditch the carbs better than Wholesome Yumm. I used the sweetener I had on hand and put it in the food processor to make it a powdered sweetener. I have since ordered Swevre Confectioners sugar for future use so maybe I will like it better.
This is not my original recipe nor do I take any credit for its creation. I simply found a recipe I liked and thought I would share. Photo credit belongs to Wholesome Yumm.
- 3/4 cup Erythritol (or coconut sugar for paleo)
- 3/4 cup Butter (softened; use coconut or ghee for paleo or dairy-free)
- 1 tbsp Blackstrap molasses (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Pineapple extract (optional)
- 4 large Egg
- 2 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 2 tsp Gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 1/2 cup Carrots (grated, measured loosely packed after grating)
- 1 1/2 cup Pecans (chopped; divided into 1 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 2 full recipes Sugar-free cream cheese frosting (double the frosting recipe; for paleo or dairy-free, omit or use a coconut cream based frosting instead)
See link above for full recipe and instructions.
I used the molasses but not the pineapple extract.
If you make this or if you have a great low carb carrot cake recipe, let me know.
Next up: Cinnamon rolls.