Delicious! All I can say is delicious. The chicken was juicy and the spinach/ricotta filling was a nice compliment. Overall a wonderfully satisfying Italian dinner.
I am a big fan of Italian dinners. Mostly because they are full of flavors and cheesy goodness. I like crispy chicken topped with cheese and marinara sauce. Kinda had to spot eating these kinds of dishes while on the keto diet, until now. This is a wonderfully low carb version of Chicken parmigiana.
Use caution when trying to roll the chicken rolls in the egg and breading mixture. Some of the filling fell out. I will make this again and try pounding the chicken a little thinner so see if it gives me a better roll.
This is not an original recipe of my creation. I came across this one while browsing Facebook. I love when recipes pop up on my news feeds. I find a lot that way that I did not know I was looking for. LOL! The original author can be found at Skinnytaste ‘s website. Photo credit also goes to SkinnyTaste. I promise, some day I will have my act together and take photos of my attempts at these wonderful recipes.
Mine didn’t look quite like the photo. I will spread the filling out a bit more next time. I just put it all in one section and rolled around it. It was tasty either way. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen as I was cutting the recipe in half. No need to cook 8 pieces for 2 of us. We had no leftovers. My hubby devoured 3 of the 4. I think I might have been lucky to get the one. 🙂
I used a low carb marinara sauce. I can’t remeber the name right now but will update this post when I get home and can look at the jar.
Baked chicken breasts rolled with spinach and ricotta topped with pomodoro sauce and melted mozzarella. A dish the whole family will love!
- 8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons egg whites or egg beaters
- 5 oz frozen spinach, squeezed dry of any liquid
- 6 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
- 6 oz part skim mozzarella (I used Polly-O)
- olive oil non-stick spray
- 1 cup pomodoro sauce or your favorite marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tbsp grated cheese in one bowl and 1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites in another.
- Shred or finely chop 1.5 oz of mozzarella cheese and combine with remaining grated cheese, spinach (make sure you squeeze it dry), 2 tbsp egg beaters, and ricotta cheese.
- Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of spinach-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed).
- Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray with olive oil. Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with sauce then cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 more minutes.
- Serve with additional sauce on the side and grated cheese.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1 piece
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 195 calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugar: g
- Protein: 24g