It has been awhile since I have posted any recipes and I have had some requests for some more. I have not been eating every well over the last few months so I haven’t tried any new ones. Until last night.
Tuesdays are Taco Tuesday in my house. Taco is a very loose term. Basically in encompasses anything Mexican. Fajitas are a favorite of mine but I try to stay away from the tortilla shells. This recipe gives me the satisfaction of a fajita without the added carbs of the tortilla. Also, I don’t feel like I’m missing out by skipping the tortilla.
This is not an original recipe nor do I take any credit in its creation. I found this online via Tasty.co I enjoy using Tasty’s recipes. I enjoyed this one and thought I would share with you.
for 4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ yellow bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
fajita spice mix
cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Slice into the chicken several times, about ¼ inch (½ cm) apart, but only cut about 85% of the way through, leaving the bottom intact.
- Cook the onions and peppers over a medium heat until softened, then stir in the fajita mix.
- Stir in the salsa and sprinkle the cheese over.
- Mix together until the cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool to the touch, and then fill each segment of the chicken breast with about 1 teaspoon of the mixture.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 18-22 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear.
The chicken breast I used were pretty big and thick. It took a little longer to cook than 22 minutes. Next time, I may sprinkle some Fajita seasoning on the chicken itself prior to baking. Also might sprinkle with a little more cheese. I served these with some sour cream on the side. I might try mixing sour cream and salsa together for a spicier kick. I’m not a big spicy person but I felt these need just a little something more. This could be due to the larger chicken breasts.
I used a homemade fajita mix consisting of
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
This recipe calls for salt and I omitted it. It is tasty without it. Besides, who needs the added sodium, right. We don’t even miss it.
Let me know if you try this recipe. I love to read your feedback and suggestions.